Thursday, April 5, 2007

a kenya letter from Helen


These pictures are from the last trip our church made to Masii -- I love these little boys.

Today we received a letter from Helen Waila, who is the therapist/social worker for the Tumaini organization in Masii. I had written her last week about our Memory Book idea and encouraged her input. She knows all the kids and knows which ones will be helped by this project. She was encouraging and had a few suggestions for changes (Laureen and I had asked her to review the pages) and I found out some more about our kids. I had been under the impression that most were full orphans with no mother or father (both of our kids do not have either mother or father) but apparently some still have their mothers -- that was good news to me, but many of the mothers are still HIV+. I imagine I will find out more about their reality and their stories when I arrive. Those of us going have discussed not attempting to do things our way except to share fun with the kids (games and so on). I learned in Chile and Peru when we lived there that even though we will be very welcome, it is still their culture and not ours. I am going to learn, and maybe share, but only teach where it is wanted. I do not want to impose.

I asked Stanley at the dinner last week about greetings and who greets whom. He tells me that the older person always greets the younger person, so that we will need to speak to the children first. He also told me what to say, it sounded like "Huacha" and then the other person replies "Ahh" -- I'll see how close I get and if anybody understands me! Good things most of the kids speak some English too! People shake hands and adults do not kiss or hug in public. Adult friends of the same sex hold hands while they walk, and married people do not show affection in public! The children are shy at first but quickly become friendly. So much to think about.

I am starting to get scattered again. Only 12 days left!

I need to make a list. My primary coping skill....

My laundry room is almost done. One less thing to worry about.

No comments: