Monday, May 14, 2007

memory books part two

I mentioned that we did another class on Wednesday afternoon 4/25/07 with another group of kids. It went well - they had a blast.

I also found out what I was supposed to do with the rest of the money I took with me. Ellen of course came to my class, along with her friend Agnes, another Tumaini board member. She is a widow who owns a small hotel in another town close by. We were chatting and she asked me about the children I sponsored - I mentioned Ndunda and that I had met his two sisters and was looking forward to meeting the rest of the family on Thursday. She said, oh, I know that family, do you know about the older brother? Samuel? I said (I knew their names from the conversation with Ruth). She said, oh you know them! He is an amazing young man. She then proceeded to tell me their story. Both the mother and father died in the late 90's. Samuel was barely 17 when his father passed away. He kept the family together, made sure the farm was taken care of, and helped his older sister Mary get through teaching school. He started teaching school, but was not able to continue due to lack of funds, and he owes part of his fees to the school. The three youngest siblings (Ndunda, Annah and Ruth) all have sponsors and are doing very well, but he is too old for a conventional Tumaini sponsorship. The hair stood up on my neck. She had no idea that I had funds to help in some way. After considering everything and discussing the situation with Paul to see if he knew if Samuel was serious about school (he is), I decided to divide the remaining cash between Samuel and Annastacia (correct spelling of her name -- just recently found out) to assist them both in returning to school.

Annastacia will be sponsored with half of the money for about a year and then we will find a sponsor to pick her up (my sister Joan has agreed to do this...). We established a scholarship fund for Samuel with Tumaini and after I got home, I found a couple more sponsors (still could use some more however). Paul agreed to tell Samuel about the decision to set up a scholarship fund for him when we went to visit the house on Thursday 4/26.

It is amazing to see how God is working in this situation.

No comments: