Monday, May 28, 2007

goodbye




4/28/07 -- morning


Saturday morning was a bit of a stressful time. We got up early to go to the school to see the children before they went back home. Most of the morning is spent by the staff getting bus fare ready for the children and sending them off home. Some of the younger children are picked up by their mothers (if they still have her) or their guardians, but many of the children just take their bag and hop on the local matatu or other public transportation (there are some larger buses) and off they go. Still others who live in the local area walk home.

I said good bye to all the young people we had met, Ndunda, Annah and Ruth, Ruth Ndolo, Mutie, Lazarus, Miriam, Judy...several of them wanted me to take a picture so I would remember them...as if I could forget them. Ndunda finally gave me a good smile for a picture. We also said goodbye to the Tumaini staff that was not going to be going with us today -- we have one more day in the area and tomorrow we will return to Nairobi for the rest of the trip. We had group pictures to hand out, of course everyone wanted one, and it was impossible to give one to everyone. I made sure that the kids I had spent time with got one.

We finally boarded the bus and waved goodbye about an hour later with very mixed feelings. It was hard to leave these children. They have a way of attaching to your heart that was not what I really expected. I thought I might not have too much to talk about with the kids I sponsor and with the other children, but they are so bright and curious and so appreciative of our help that it is difficult not to feel close to them.

On the other hand, we were all exhausted. It was a very emotionally taxing week. Some of the stories of the families were truly heartbreaking, but in many cases, as in the case of the Mwanzia family, we were astounded by their resiliency and devotion to each other. We were also continually impressed by the kindness and devotion of the Tumaini staff, both to us as visitors, and to the children.

No comments: