Sunday, May 13, 2007

kerry's class


4/25/07 - morning

This morning several of us had the wonderful opportunity to sit with the college age girls in Kerry and Janice's grief recovery class. He told us that they were having a hard time getting any discussion going, and that he was not going to give them an option this morning. They had each been given an assignment the night before to complete "My Story" which they were to share with the rest of the group. There were no volunteers to start, so Kerry picked up an empty water bottle and spun it in the middle of the room -- whoever it pointed to had to start!

All the girls finally told their stories, one by one. Some of them were so poignant that it was hard not to cry a little. I sat next to Ruth Mwanzia, the older sister of my sponsored child, Ndunda. She later gave me a copy of her story -- I will share it with all of you...(most of these were listed in a column -- I am stringing them together in sentences).

My Story

My name is Ruth. This is the story about the loss of my parents. I want to tell you about my life before my parents died. At home, I felt happy and joy with my parents. I was secured. I had parental love and care. I had hope. We had lots of fun when all the family members were present. We shared ideas and stories concerning future life. We had unity and togetherness. We lived as a family filled with harmony and peace.

Then my parents died and I felt loneliness, hopeless, stressed, depressed, inferior, embarassed, worthless, sad, uncomfortable, empty, worried, desparate, useless and frustrated.

My story doesn't end there, I was accepted by Tumaini. I felt happy and joy. I thanked and appreciated for what God had done to me. I was optimistic and hence I could visualize my life. I was secured. I was protected and knew that somebody somewhere loved and cared for me.

Now, I am happy. I know that God has a good plan for my life. God has enabled me to pursue in my education. I am hopeful. I have light in my life. I have realized that the death of my parents was God's will.

I am Ruth. Thank you for hearing my story.


At teatime after this class, Ruth brought Annah to see me (see above picture -- Annah is in pink). I had not had a chance to meet her yet. They are both delightful girls, full of cheer and smiles. We will go to visit their home tomorrow afternoon and they are really excited about it. Laureen and Ellen will finish the afternoon class for me (my dear friends).


Speaking of Ellen, I now get a hand slap and double kiss when I see her -- somewhere between Monday and today, we have started calling each other "Sister"--I don't remember who started it.


No comments: