Monday, May 21, 2007

almost home


We've had a wild few days. Good flight out, overnight in Houston with Matt and Danielle (after I got lost getting out of the airport), then off to Austin. Matt and Danielle have two cute doggies (Karma and Kizzie) - and we took them to the dog park for a good run and Danielle gave me a quick tour of the Rice campus where she is working now. Matt has a job with Chevron Natural Gas in downtown Houston. Checking into our hotel in Austin was a ADA nightmare. They originally gave us a so-called Handicapped accessible room that had a bathtub (not a roll-in shower). When Bill tried to use it with the shower chair that they provided he did ok for a while, then Laura and I heard a big crash and found Bill on the floor with two huge welts on his back and the shower curtain and chair on top of him. The darn thing did not fit in the tub, and shot him out onto the floor like a wet fish. My poor husband. Fortunately he was not seriously hurt.


I was hot. Laura cooled me down a little, before I went downstairs to growl. (Something happens to one of my family and the mama lioness comes out...watch out!) I ended up with a new room on the bottom floor (the other one was on the third floor), with the recliner for Bill I had requested, three days comp'ed (only paid for one day) . It may have helped that I took pictures with my cell phone and showed them to the on-duty manager. To cap it off, we had a fire alarm that caused a complete evacuation of the building at 3 am. If we had still been on the third floor, I would not have been able to get him down the stairs (the elevators don't work when there is a fire alarm).

The rest of the weekend was a blur of dinners, parties, barbeques and meeting new people. The hooding and graduation ceremonies were inspiring even to an old social worker like me. I really enjoyed it all, but now we are vegging out back in Houston. Tomorrow, we have to find Laura a car (her old Honda with over 200K miles died about a month ago) and then it's back home Wednesday afternoon. I will be glad even though we have had a good time. The good thing is that we have had really great weather -- in the 70s and 80s, not too much humidity. Other times we have been here in May, we have cooked...I was very happy.

I need to just slow down.,..Whoo eee.....

No comments: